Carpet Bombing damage

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Carpet Bombing damage

Postby FroBodine » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:54 am

How much extra damage/shifts/etc. does carpet bombing add to an attack? I attacked a stack of four units of cavalry, all three and four steps, in the Rommel-Master of Battle scenario. The CRT result was D1, however EACH cavalry unit took two step losses!! That's some major carpet bombing devastation. Is there a specific amount of extra damage, is it random, or what?

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I did not find anything in the BiN forum or any details in the manual.

Thanks!
FroBodine - still learning and loving these games
FroBodine
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby FroBodine » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:20 pm

Bump. Anyone?
FroBodine
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Noakesy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:59 pm

I'm afraid I don't know the details, but I do know it varies by scenario according with to the designer. I think in Breakout in BiN the carpet bombing at Caen is lethal, whereas in RMoB it's pretty harmless. Sorry, I don't know the precise damage levels. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Carpet Bombing damage

Postby Gregor Whiley » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:15 am

FroBodine wrote:How much extra damage/shifts/etc. does carpet bombing add to an attack? I attacked a stack of four units of cavalry, all three and four steps, in the Rommel-Master of Battle scenario. The CRT result was D1, however EACH cavalry unit took two step losses!! That's some major carpet bombing devastation. Is there a specific amount of extra damage, is it random, or what?

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I did not find anything in the BiN forum or any details in the manual.

Thanks!
FroBodine - still learning and loving these games

From memory, the scenario designer can designate both the chance of hitting and the number of step losses per successful hit (up to a very large number, like 8, which would be some sort of battlefield nuke). So two step losses per hit is perfectly allowable.

Also, the chance to hit can be automatic, so the dice roll only affects whether a hit happens or not, you won't get more damage from a higher dice roll as you often do in a close combat CRT.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Wed May 27, 2009 6:23 pm

I just tried carpeting for the first time in BIN. It really killed the hell out of the targeted hex. I like the carpets in Kharkov too, especially on top of the Russians massed east of Kharkov. I feel like doing a dance of joy after seeing a whole splattering of step losses.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion