Carentan scenario - tips?

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Carentan scenario - tips?

Postby nhill40 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:28 am

Well, I think I may have finally turned the corner in BiN. As I stated in my other post, I was having a hell of a time pulling off scenario victories, yet in terms of units destroyed I was clobbering the enemy. As it turns out, I think I was doing two things wrong:

1. Putting way too high of an emphasis on destroying enemy units and - as a result - not putting enough emphasis on open manuevering.

2. Not having a plan. As I got immersed in the game mechanics, it basically became a game of overruns for me. I would take every single overrun opportunity, regardless of its overall strategic impact.

At any rate, I think I'm getting there - I've pulled off two nice wins (as the Allies) in two of the smaller scenarios (Omaha & Cherbourg), but I'm really stumped on the Carentan scenario. Any veteran have some tips for me? I know I have heard that an early capture of Carentan is key, but - even pulling out all the stops and going 100% aggressive - I was not able to pull it off. The Germans quickly reinforced Carentan and we are at a stalemate.

It just seems like the Germans are far too strong for the Allied player to have any hopes of a breakthrough. Yeah, in the early turns of the scenario I was able to gobble up some decent gains, but this just has the effect of shortening the German lines. About 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way through the scenario, the density of the German lines is such that I can't find a single place to even think about a breakthrough.
nhill40
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby schwarm » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:44 am

The original post is a bit dated, but I was playing is scenario recently and managed an overwhelming victory after several tries. Basically you have to advance on the Carenten area from both Omaha and Utah, and keep pounding. The maybe not so obvious thing to do is march the airborne divisions over the river to the NE of Carentan (red arrows in the attached illustration) then assault the city from the E and N. Also, move most of your artillery units in range of Carentan, including the 3 units capable of barrages and the two shift art. on Omaha beach. The arrows below mostly indicate general movement of main forces, not movements of specific units. If/when you capture Carentan, push for Les Oubeaux, forming units on the green line, which is fairly defensible.
Finally, kill as many Axis units as possible. Most of my VP's were from dead Axis units.

schwarm
New Recruit

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:19 pm

schwarm, that sounds like a solid approach. The part with the red arrows causes a big headache for the defenders. I've only played this scenario as the Germans but I wanna try this again. Do you play PBEM? How do you make those arrows on your photo? What paint program is it?
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Graf Starhemberg » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:21 pm

It´s been quite a while since I played this scenario, but two things:

1. Along your axis of attacks, you should constantly interdict the roads behind the German defenders to prevent them from being in supply and attack those interdicted units every turn. If done correctly, they must either retreat or are going to be isolated and killed.

2. Instead of going for overruns, I found out in BiN it is sometimes more effecitve to attack a stack of units at lower odds but multiple times.
Graf Starhemberg
Major
Major

Postby Talos » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:16 pm

Graf Starhemberg wrote:It´s been quite a while since I played this scenario, but two things:

2. Instead of going for overruns, I found out in BiN it is sometimes more effecitve to attack a stack of units at lower odds but multiple times.

Generally 6-1 and 7-1 attacks are the best for this approach. From memory you get a double dice chance once a unit has 4 steps in it in the Swamps and Bocage. And in the swamps on the higher dice ranges you get some D2 results which means a 4 step unit can be destroyed in one go.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Top Secret....Operation Carentan

Postby critter » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:39 pm

Send the 82 and the 101 Ab units west. stretching out his line
Use them to infiltrate their way to the St Jores - Carentan Rd. If the German covers every hex pick off the weak units if he leaves gaps push your way South.
Use the Big Red 1 div to trap the German 352 unit 4 hexes East of Insigny. Hammer it hard.
Bypass it with the Eng unit and the landing 2nd Arm. Ths goal is to get past the main def line and capture the 2 roads leading into Carentan from the East . Use 2nd Arm to hit the city and 1rst inf to keep the shoulder closed. Moving as far south down the roads as possiblle. The object is to put the Carentan defense out of supply.
Drop 1 air 1 hex south west of Carentan and the 4 hexes out on both sides. Do not let the doomed defenders of Carentan eat.
Use the units North of Carentan to make low odds attacks on the unit North of Carentan then on Carentan its self. If you can.. attack the unit West of the city also. And ALL Strong Pt. hexes.
By the 3rd turn the AI will be opening up avenues to the South shuttling units to cover Carentan or defending it with unsupplied units.
Once the city falls go West with 2nd Arm and use your air and the rest of the boys on Omaha to mop up the beachhead.
The air int and low odds attacks will give you the city. Once you get them out of the swamps they will go quick.
critter
Major
Major

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:11 am

Do not let the doomed defenders of Carentan eat.

Damn! You are a nasty critter aren't ya? :) Now I know what kind of beatdown is coming my way. :cry: :x
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby schwarm » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:32 am

SS - I did a screen dump into Powerpoint. No I am not playing PBEM - thanks for asking, though.

critter - I initially tried advancing across a broad front, and was not very successful. I then tried focusing everything to the north and east of Carentan, and that worked well.
Sounds like initially stringing out the Axis in the west and attacking Carentan directly from the east works well, too. I think the biggest mistake is diluting your forces in the east.

From memory, I didn't use too many multiple attacks, except against the 352nd regiment facing 1st Infantry on turn one. I think you need to push it out of the way ASAP, turn 1 or the beginning of turn two, to allow the armored division to push west to Carentan.
schwarm
New Recruit

Carentan Plans

Postby critter » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:03 pm

The 1rst Div attack on the left flank of 352nd Div and the running up of the Eng unit should give 2nd armor a clear 2nd turn shot to Carentan. By putting your long range guns on the west edge of Omaha you can easily get 1.5-1 or 1-1 attacks on the defenders North of and in the city its self. Use your air to intradict like I said and in 2-3 turns, the brave defenders are eating shoe leather steaks.
This is your first priority till the city falls. If you have any extra guns pick off the weakest units.
Airborne units flood thru any gaps headed South. The trick here is to intradict the road and to get the AI to either defend with Ost units or go around. 29th Div has a similar objective. Infiltrate and hit the weakest stacks.
You'll proubly have to move your supply units west. Be sure you have either a 4th Div unit or a 2nd Arm unit in each attack to get the elite bonus shift.
Once the city falls you can intradict the units South of Omaha and do the same to them. It's nice to have Air superiority.
OF COURSE....It won't be so easy against a breathing player. But the method is the same.... :twisted:
Give us a hollar when you're ready for H2H..We'll be waiting :twisted:
Moo ha ha ha.....
critter
Major
Major

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion