Retreat Q's

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Retreat Q's

Postby critter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm the Germans in a reg Normady sen against the dastardly Noakesy. While I've defended with my usual "masterful" defense..Lucky die rolls have kept him in it.. :D
It's to the point that 1 or 2 unit Vp's could mean a draw for either side. I've noticed a couple of quirky retreats by my units and would like for someone to plz tell me why.

1) I'm defending in a swamp hex with a Mg Batt and an independant Tank Batt dug in. There is a road running thru it and my flanks are secure. Herr N overrun attacks the hex and rolls one of his lucky retreats. The Mg Batt retreats down the road hex but the Tank sits there. Herr N then violates the Geneva Convention and slaughters the non retreated tank.
Q..Why didn't they both retreat together. The road hex was clear of zoc.
Where in the rules do I find the explaination?

2) I'm defending a woods hex with a 12SS Arm Inf Regt and one of the Fuhrers AT gun Batts. Both are dug in. Her N rolls yet another retreat and the Arm Inf retreats to another woods hex. While the AT gun retreats to an adjacent clear hex. Again after another GC violation my AT gun dies.

Q.. Why did they split? Is it random? There was no zoc into the retreated hex and surely the clear hex was the less cost in movement costs.

Someone plz explain this if you can. And where is it in the rule book..

Thanks
Last edited by critter on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
critter
Major
Major

Re: Retreat Q's

Postby Noakesy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:12 pm

critter wrote:I'm the Germans in a reg Normady sen against the dastardly Noakesy. While I've defended with my usual "masterful" defense..Lucky die rolls have kept him in it.. :D

Outrageous - it's pure tactical genius, and double 6s exactly when you need them :wink: (even I've been embarrassed at times, so it must be bad :D )
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Retreat Q's

Postby Talos » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33 pm

critter wrote:I'm the Germans in a reg Normady sen against the dastardly Noakesy. While I've defended with my usual "masterful" defense..Lucky die rolls have kept him in it.. :D
It's to the point that 1 or 2 unit Vp's could mean a draw for either side. I've noticed a couple of quirky retreats by my units and would like for someone to plz tell me why.

1) I'm defending in a swamp hex with a Mg Batt and an independant Tank Batt dug in. There is a road running thru it and my flanks are secure. Herr N overrun attacks the hex and rolls one of his lucky retreats. The Mg Batt retreats down the road hex but the Tank sits there. Herr N then violates the Geneva Convention and slaughters the non retreated tank.
Q..Why didn't they both retreat together. The road hex was clear of zoc.
Where in the rules do I find the explaination?</quote>

Does the road run through any enemy, Zocs or does the road end in this hex, does the road stop and start, did the tank unit move there in the turn before? A screen shot of this would be helpful as there could be a number of reasons for this. Basically the tank is not allowed to retreat to the hex in question for some reason.

critter wrote:2) I'm defending a woods hex with a 12SS Arm Inf Regt and one of the Furhrers AT gun Batts. Both are dug in. Her N rolls yet another retreat and the Arm Inf retreats to another woods hex. While the AT gun retreats to an adjacent clear hex. Again after another GC violation my AT gun dies.

Q.. Why did they split? Is it random? There was no zoc into the retreated hex and surely the clear hex was the less cost in movement costs.

Someone plz explain this if you can. And where is it in the rule book..

Thanks

For the second one I believe its because the units are different types and depending on the unit type, it has different movement costs for the terrain it enters so different units types could split different ways if they had different movement types (leg, motorised, mech and arm). Again a screen shot would be more helpful.

In addition there are some quirks to do with retreats and movement costs in general for BIN (which both me and JSS found when playing rescently) which means units can do the unexpected or totally go against what its supposed to do.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

No screen shots

Postby critter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:42 am

First off thx to those of you kind enough to answer here or by email.

1) No I didn't take a screen shot. But the road did go on. It should have been a legal retreat. I've read and reread the rules. I'l take it on your word that its a quirk built into the game. Just wanted to know so I don't pull the same bonehead move again.

2) They were differnt movement types. (half tracked and wheel) But surely the clear hex was the cheapest in movement pts for both units. Again by the rules I realize they retreat seperately And that they try to go to the most advantagious hex. But the wheel cld have reached the woods too.
Thx for your time.
How do you make a sreen shot any way?
critter
Major
Major

Re: No screen shots

Postby Talos » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:08 pm

critter wrote:First off thx to those of you kind enough to answer here or by email.

1) No I didn't take a screen shot. But the road did go on. It should have been a legal retreat. I've read and reread the rules. I'l take it on your word that its a quirk built into the game. Just wanted to know so I don't pull the same bonehead move again.

2) They were differnt movement types. (half tracked and wheel) But surely the clear hex was the cheapest in movement pts for both units. Again by the rules I realize they retreat seperately And that they try to go to the most advantagious hex. But the wheel cld have reached the woods too.
Thx for your time.
How do you make a sreen shot any way?

With regard to 2 tracked and wheeled have different movement costs for entering woods i presume, so it would have cost more for the wheeled unit to enter the woods than it would have for the tracked so that could be why they split.

For screen shots just use print screen, paste it into paint or some such programme and then save. Upload Image to web space (photobucket is good for this) and then use the IMG tag and paste the link into the forums. If you need any more specific help let me know.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion