Greetings from a noob...

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Greetings from a noob...

Postby nhill40 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:24 am

Howdy all – new to the forums, new to the Decisive Battles series overall. I downloaded the BiN demo quite a while back, but have just now gotten around to running through the tutorial – very impressive! I’m excited to get started…

First to the SSG folks, I have to say I am just terribly impressed with what I have seen with the product so far. I myself work as an application developer and deal a lot with UI’s, so I have a first-hand appreciation of just how difficult and how much of an art form it is to pull off a truly positive user experience – it appears as though SSG has succeeded magnificently in doing just that with the Decisive Battles series!

Just a little background on myself, like many of you I am sure, I have had a lifelong interest in history in general and military history in particular. I’m an avid reader of history books, with a particular preference for the subject of the First World War and the geo-political situation that led up to that event in the late 19th century…for instance right now I am – very slowly – bouncing between Hew Strachan’s excellent 1st volume of “The First World War: To Arms” and Massey’s “Dreadnought”. Both are very good, but take some time and patience!

Of course, my interest has over the years has also been channeled into different games – in particular I have been a big, big fan of the Close Combat series (in fact, I am just coming off a big CC kick where I have sort of burned out on it, which is what led me here!). In the past, I was also a big fan of flight sims – the Red Baron series in particular. I have dabbled a little in the RTS genre (Rise of Nations, in particular), but not much. Also, I have played a great number of FPS (the Rainbow Six and Brothers in Arms series being my favorites).

More applicable to the Decisive Battles series, I have also messed around a bit with more traditional wargames – over the last year or so, I have played both scenarios (1st Ypres, Galicia) of Ted Racier’s “Clash of Giants II” through several times. I had tried experimenting with true wargames in the past, but I admittedly up until now have never really had the patience to stick with them and really get any enjoyment out of them. Clash of Giants really changed that for me – it was such an easy system to grasp and I found the unique game mechanic (where a chit is randomly drawn to determine which side/army will be activated for operational movement that turn, then the player has the chance to decide if they are ready to initiate combat at that point) to be a blast and very solitaire-friendly. As a side note, for any fellow Clash of Giants players out there, I find the Galicia campaign to be much more fun. I’ve seen the Russians really on the ropes in the early turns only to see them turn around and run roughshod through the Austro-Hungarians in the later turns. That campaign always seems to end up being decided by a last second scramble for a VL! For some reason, in the Ypres campaign, the allies just seem hopelessly outmatched (but I think some of that may be tied to some really lucky rolls for the activation quality of the reserve German army).

At any rate, that is probably more than enough info for one post! Obviously, the Decisive Battles series goes far, far deeper than anything I have experience with, but I’m looking forward to the challenge! Does anyone have any advice on which of the Decisive Battles series would serve as a good starting point?
nhill40
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Welcome nhill40

Postby critter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:50 am

While its not my site . I will respond, and wish you a welcome aboard.
You picked a good spot to learn as there are many fellow gamers that will eagerly try and help you out, and we aqll enjoy this system
As for which game? That depends on your taste in history. BIN is a great place to start. It's the middle of the series. If you master that you should have no problems with KP and BII
Be sure and check out the articles on stratagy's and best of all the user created sen's which are either different versions of the battles OR new battles in themselves "free" to owners of the game.
Feel free to ask questions because all of us were noob once. And of course it benefits us to teach you the games... so that we may teach you further lessions at the tip of our swords via PBEM games...Enjoy
critter
Major
Major

Thanks!

Postby nhill40 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:53 am

Thanks for the reply! From a fellow midwesterner (if that's a word?) no less - I am located in Des Moines, myself

I got to thinking in a little more detail as far as parameters for choosing which of the series to start with - do any of the games have a particularly smaller scenarios than the others? Like fewer units/shorter timelines in other words? I'm thinking that would probably help me out more than anything as I get the hang of the game mechanics...
nhill40
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

All of them

Postby critter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:11 am

All the games have smaller sen's with less units except BII. Which has 3 differnt battles. (2 in Italy and Husky)
Most are differnt parts of the same campaign.
IE... Bin has The full campaign( start to breakout)
British invasion only ( Gold,Juno , Sword beaches)...American beaches only...Cobra sen... Falaise sen... Rommels plan sen ( Tanks closer to the beach). It also has 2 mini Sen. Omaha Beach and Cherbourg. Great for learning the game.
After you get them down You can download the free ones that cover all ranges of things.
I suggest BIN because BII is pretty much set piece slug fests that will test a noob. Although it brings the game system up to its finest.
critter
Major
Major

Postby Talos » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:36 pm

Welcome to the forums.

As critter as noted BIN has some smaller scenarios. The most scenarios though belong to BII by a significant margin (lots of user created), its also the best of the interfaces and games in general, though the standard set are medium to large scenarios and can take some getting used to, some of the other scenarios are easier to master/play.

Feel free to post questions all of us went through the learning expierence of the DB series at some point. With the smaller scenarios/shorter time lines if you make a mistake things can come apart quite quickly, generally the larger scenarios allow more for error, though their are exceptions. A good start if you want some more info is to look at some of the After Action Reviews (AAR's). The Battles in Italy one in the Battles in Italy Public Discussion folder would be a good start as it talks through some strategy but also the features of the games as well. Here is the link http://ssg.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1950
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion