Normal to Have "Replay Data On"??

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Normal to Have "Replay Data On"??

Postby Gambit » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:06 pm

Is it normal to have "Replay Data On" when playing secure games? I ask this because having "Replay Data On" means that your opponent can see where your units are from where they move and can construct the position of your forces from the replay information. It seems to me that having replay on negates the "Hidden Units" option. Under normal combat conditions you would not be able to see where your opponents units were moving to and having the "Replay Data On" negates the fog of war :?:
"Tote Fallschirmjäger sind nie allein, denn loyale Kameraden bleiben immer mit ihnen"
Gambit
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Normal to Have "Replay Data On"??

Postby JSS » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:35 pm

Gambit wrote:Is it normal to have "Replay Data On" when playing secure games? I ask this because having "Replay Data On" means that your opponent can see where your units are from where they move and can construct the position of your forces from the replay information. It seems to me that having replay on negates the "Hidden Units" option. Under normal combat conditions you would not be able to see where your opponents units were moving to and having the "Replay Data On" negates the fog of war :?:

Replay Data should be on. The After Action Review is critical for playing competitive PBEM.

What you're refering to is something that arose with the 1.01 patch. The replay feature works properly BUT if a player exits his secure turn (using "x" or Alt + f4) and then completes the turn later a bug raises its ugly head... the replay then shows the replay from the opponent's (attacking player's) point of view with display errors during combat.

Key is to play your secure turn in one sitting. If you play straight thru and then end turn & send pbem file there is no problem.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Gambit » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:51 pm

NO, I have been playing my turn in one sitting. Yet when I view the opponents turn I can see where my opponent has moved his forces behind his lines. I can understand having a replay that enables me to see opposing forces where they have come into contact with my forces but not those that well behind the front line and thus I shouldn't be able to view at all. :shock:
"Tote Fallschirmjäger sind nie allein, denn loyale Kameraden bleiben immer mit ihnen"
Gambit
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Gambit » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:58 pm

I have just been "Observing" some of the moves of my PBEM games. The security is set to "On" and when I first look at the screen I can see some of my opponents forces and some have a white star over the counter, because I shouldn't be able to view them. But when I turn on the replay all the opponents forces are exposed, including a supply counter some four hexes behind the front line. I deliberately didn't go for that unit, even though it was obviously exposed, because I figured that I shouldn't be able to view it. After I came out of the replay my opponents forces reverted to some exposed and others not exposed as per my forces proximity. Very strange. :shock:
Gambit
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby JSS » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:11 pm

Gambit wrote:NO, I have been playing my turn in one sitting. Yet when I view the opponents turn I can see where my opponent has moved his forces behind his lines. I can understand having a replay that enables me to see opposing forces where they have come into contact with my forces but not those that well behind the front line and thus I shouldn't be able to view at all. :shock:

It is your opponent who's not completing the turn in one sitting. Its a self-created gift to your opponent :shock:

If you play yours in one sitting, then your opponent will get the appropriate limited intelligence based on exposure rules.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Gambit » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:32 pm

Oh I see!?! Is there any way of putting this right, because we all know that computers sometimes go wrong and on larger games which take a while to make all your moves, you can't help but be sometimes faced with a situation where you may have to restart the computer and then you would be faced with this problem - at no fault of your own? :?:
Gambit
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:56 pm

Gambit wrote:Oh I see!?! Is there any way of putting this right,

Have your opponent read this thread
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gambit » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:03 pm

Joe wrote
Have your opponent read this thread

Errr, why have I said something wrong?? :o
Gambit
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Gambit » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:15 pm

I have emailed my opponent in this Omaha game and given him the URL for this web page.
Gambit
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Papa Smurf » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:20 pm

So I'm playing a secure game right now, and I tend to open the game file to have a review of the current position so I can think about it for a while, then close BiN and come back later to play my moves. Does this mean that my opponent can see exactly what I'm doing? :shock:

I'm getting creamed and desperately looking for excuses :D
Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Gambit » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:34 pm

Here is an image of the replay where I am able to view all the units of my opponent including his supply counter, which is standing there without any support from any other unit (The red arrows highlight some of my opponents units well behind his lines that I can see):

I have to say though that I lost this game and my opponent played very well for his win - so fair enough. It is just that this is a huge hole in the game and one that should really be put right, because if you don't finish the move in one sitting your opponent can see everything you are doing, and that gives them an unfair advantage. :?
Gambit
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:00 pm

Gambit wrote:Here is an image of the replay where I am able to view all the units of my opponent including his supply counter, which is standing there without any support from any other unit (The red arrows highlight some of my opponents units well behind his lines that I can see):

I have to say though that I lost this game and my opponent played very well for his win - so fair enough. It is just that this is a huge hole in the game and one that should really be put right, because if you don't finish the move in one sitting your opponent can see everything you are doing, and that gives them an unfair advantage. :?

From the image you can see that it is YOUR units that are hidden by Fog of War. Your opponent is reloading the game and not finishing in one sitting.
Gargoyle
Corporal
Corporal

Postby 98Charlie - JRC » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:22 am

Now I know why I get creamed in some games! :roll:

And I learned about replay ...
Old age and treachery beats youth and skill every time...
... unless the youth has an old & treacherous teacher.
... until the youth gets beat often enough to become old and treacherous in battle.
98Charlie - JRC
Private
Private

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:54 am

You can load the turn and watch the replay, but don't move anything.

Close the game and play the turn at a later time. And play the turn in one sitting.
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:43 pm

Papa Smurf wrote:I'm getting creamed and desperately looking for excuses :D

Hey thats pretty good.. Im going to use that excuse :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Next

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion