Patton - Master of Battle

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Patton - Master of Battle

Postby Robjess » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:21 pm

JSS has given my permission to release the 2nd in the Master of Battle series - that is Patton!

Patton - Master of Battle for BIN is now available for download from the Scenarios Page - or via this direct link:

http://www.ssg.com.au/Run5/scenarios/Patton.htm

Here is a snippet from JSS' notes on the scenario:

Summer 1945: This is an ahistorical, what if-scenario where GEN Patton orders one of his corps commanders to occupy Karlsbad and Pilsen (to make these fine beer producing regions available to the free world of course). The battle starts with the Soviet response to this land grab. Zhukov wants to formally introduce Patton to Russian Artillery and Uncle Joe looks to give him a good lesson in international diplomacy in the process…

Well done and thanks again to JSS for another fine quality Scenario!!!

Right - now who is up for a PBEM game? (Jss keeps offering to play me but - ermm I dont think I want to play him :)).. takers?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Fantassin » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:25 pm

I would be pleased, Robjess. :)

If you're still interested, choose your side and let me know.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby CESteman » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:57 pm

Wow! A what if! I was thinking of making a what if for the states based on the Nazi's invading all the way to the US! Sweet :)
Christian
Image ImageImageImage
CESteman
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:07 pm

Fantassin - no offence... but if I wanted to get my arse whooped then I wouldnt have said no to JSS :) No come one.. can someone not so good play me :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Fantassin » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:46 pm

No offence Robjess :) I will wait for a Patton tournament ...
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:47 pm

Fantassin I'm already shining the winners medal for you :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Kardon » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:32 pm

The scenario looks very nice. A question: why don't 11th AD's CCA and CCB have any shock points? 2nd AD's defense shock points seem out of whack too, only two for a 4-step armored unit??

A couple of nick-picking points: I don't think the Soviets were using any T-34/76s in '45 (which are pictured in the unit icons), they had all been switched to T-34/85s. Also, by '43 Tank Armies only had tank and mech corps, no infantry.
ImageImageImageImage
Kardon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JSS » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:40 pm

Kardon wrote:The scenario looks very nice. A question: why don't 11th AD's CCA and CCB have any shock points? 2nd AD's defense shock points seem out of whack too, only two for a 4-step armored unit??

A couple of nick-picking points: I don't think the Soviets were using any T-34/76s in '45 (which are pictured in the unit icons), they had all been switched to T-34/85s. Also, by '43 Tank Armies only had tank and mech corps, no infantry.

Thanks for the good catch on the 11AD units...

US Armor Divisions will get a relook (they won't have all the same values)... agree 2AD should get better anti-shock.

Soviet data fine tuning is on the to-do list... (didn't see a reason to delay release for it).
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Vampire » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:00 pm

Hi JSS,

Nice scenario!

Extra information: some nicknames of the divisions:
2nd AD Hell on wheels
3rd AD Spearhead (you switched 2nd AD and 3rd AD)
5th AD 'V' for victory
6th AD Super sixth
7th AD Lucky seventh
11th AD Thunderbolt

17th AB Thunder from heaven

2nd ID Indianhead (second to none is also used)
28th ID Keystone (bloody bucket is not 'official').

Greetz, Vampire.
Shiny Objects of Honour:
Image Image Image Image
Vampire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JVSFugitive » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:59 am

Can't wait to try it out :D
JVSFugitive
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Kardon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:46 am

In 1945 a typical army in the First Belorussian Front would have three rifle corps with three rifle divisions each, 1-3 artillery divisons, each with up to seven brigades of different types, plus independent arty, rocket, AT, and AA units. The standard arty division had 364 tubes, and the standard guards mortar division (rocket arty) had could fire 3,456 rockets in one salvo with a weight of 320 tons. A tank army would have 2 tank corps and maybe a mech corps, plus independent tank and SU brigades or regiments, a motorcycle bigade, and heavy tank regiments with IS-2s. From what I've read, most of the Shermans in the Red Army were concentrated in mech corps, and the tank corps had T-34/85s.

I think by this time of the war the personnel strength of the rifle regiments would not support giving them 4 steps.

Personally, I think the shock points are not realistic. Unless they have special equipment, I don't think the elite US infantry divisions should have a different anti-tank shock value than the regular inf. divisions. I'd do them like this (shock/anti-shock):
-
US Inf. div: 0/2
US tank-heavy CC/Tank Bn: 3/3
US mech-heavy CC: 2/3
US TD unit: 2/3
Soviet inf div: 0/1
Soviet tank bde: 3/3
Soviet mech bde: 2/3
Soviet heavy tank regiment: 4/4
German panzer-heavy KG: 4/4
German mech-heavy KG: 3/4
German heavy panzer unit (Tigers, Jagdpanthers, etc): 4/4

The problem is that the system insists on reducing the shock value by one for each step loss. This results in a too-quick reduction in their anti-tank capabilities, IMHO. I think that the losss on one step in a four-step unit shouldn't necessarily mean the loss of a shock point.
ImageImageImageImage
Kardon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Manny » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:21 am

Kardon wrote:The problem is that the system insists on reducing the shock value by one for each step loss. This results in a too-quick reduction in their anti-tank capabilities, IMHO. I think that the losss on one step in a four-step unit shouldn't necessarily mean the loss of a shock point.

Actually this is set by the designer on a per-unit basis. See the Tiger and Elefant units in my Kursk scenario as an example of units that do not lose shock/anti-shock values with step losses.

rgds
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

My BiN Profile
"Modesty is not a virtue; it is useful only as a curb for youthful indescretion" - The Ethics of Aristotle

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Kardon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:53 am

Manny wrote:Actually this is set by the designer on a per-unit basis. See the Tiger and Elefant units in my Kursk scenario as an example of units that do not lose shock/anti-shock values with step losses.

Oh, now I see that. How'd you do it? In the editor I only see how you set the full-strength shock value.
ImageImageImageImage
Kardon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JSS » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:27 am

Kardon wrote:
Oh, now I see that. How'd you do it? In the editor I only see how you set the full-strength shock value.

There is a shock setting and an anti-shock setting.

Its a right click pull down menu... where you settings like +4 Tank its the same for all steps... where you see settings like +4 variable the shock value changes with the number of steps.

If you'd like to do a variant with re-worked values and Soviet OOB let me know. I'll set up a scenario that you can work with if you're interested.

Gov't Warning: Scenario Design is highly addictive :twisted:
JSS
Site Admin

Postby JSS » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:30 am

Have version 1.01 ready to put out.

It fixes 11 AD shock values, updates some US AD shock settings and unit designations, and updates some US divisional names.

Are there any other quick fixes anyone's noticed?
JSS
Site Admin

Next

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion