Kursk Battle Available for BIN & KP

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Kursk Battle Available for BIN & KP

Postby JSS » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:12 pm

Head on over to the scenario download section at Run5 for the first user created new battle released for BIN: Kursk. The KP version of Kursk is also now available for download at the same site.

Kudos to Manny for this outstanding effort!
Last edited by JSS on Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Manny » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:40 pm

Hey dude cheers, but there were many helpers along the way and I couldn't have done it alone.

Hope everyone enjoys it - I'll wait for some feedback then go ahead and make some "what-if" variants and some smaller variants for those who don't fancy the full battle.
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:58 pm

Downloading now - can't wait. Thanks Manny et. al.

Armoured trains are a nice touch.

First look at the map/units and I'm thinking this will be v.hard (impossible) for the german player. How did it play out in testing.?
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Bertram » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:57 am

I am Soviet in both a Bin and a KP testing game. In the KP one I am holding ok (being opushed back, but I think I do nice damage). In the Bin one I am pushd back much faster. Though my opponent is grumbling, I think he is doing fine :). In fact he is attacking at several places at once, not only at the Swerpunckten, and is doing to wel there to my taste.

edit: one tip to Axis players: mind your retreat route!!. Due to the low movement and the number of units it is very easy to stack 4 high, and fill the hexes beteen also with 4 units. As the Soviet has several +3 artillery units it is relative easy to make a stack retreat (sometimes several times). If no route is available this van cost you lots of steps... I managed (in earlier builds, and before my opponents catched on) to kill several 4 unit stacks.
Bertram

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Manny » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:14 am

Pete - although you may not be able to capture Kursk (if anyone does they need to let me know what went wrong !!!!) as the Germans you can secure enough VPs to guarantee a victory by destroying Soviet units and capturing (and holding) other victory locations.

The trick as the Germans is to ensure you don't get overly aggressive whilst attacking because once the Soviet reinforcements get rolling you will regret it ...

p.s. Good tip from Bertram that one :wink:
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:05 am

Manny wrote: - although you may not be able to capture Kursk (if anyone does they need to let me know what went wrong !!!!)

The possibilities for an early spring variant seem tremendous. Instead of waiting for the Panthers (and giving time to create Fortress Kursk) what if von Manstein had been given a run at things early on.... hmmm :twisted:
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby chris miller » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:29 pm

Will there be a Tournament based on Kursk once it is beyond Beta??
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby Manny » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:54 pm

I am planning on the following variants :

1. High Tide (first 22 turns only)
2. ??? (last 22 turns only)
3. Prokhorovka (Southern sector only)
4. Ponyri (Northern sector only)

5. Von Manstein's Backhand Blow (scenario starts two-three months earlier, much less fortifications, depleted Soviet and German initial forces and far less Soviet reinforcements)
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby michl » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:58 pm

Bertram wrote:I am Soviet in both a Bin and a KP testing game. In the KP one I am holding ok (being opushed back, but I think I do nice damage). In the Bin one I am pushd back much faster. Though my opponent is grumbling, I think he is doing fine :). In fact he is attacking at several places at once, not only at the Swerpunckten, and is doing to wel there to my taste.

edit: one tip to Axis players: mind your retreat route!!. Due to the low movement and the number of units it is very easy to stack 4 high, and fill the hexes beteen also with 4 units. As the Soviet has several +3 artillery units it is relative easy to make a stack retreat (sometimes several times). If no route is available this van cost you lots of steps... I managed (in earlier builds, and before my opponents catched on) to kill several 4 unit stacks.

oh yes - and is a painful learning curve - just lost one of my Elefant Brigades :cry:

It plays very well, but is hard work for the German player. The Panzergrenadiere can't really move very well (one hex max) and the Russian counter attack possibilities seem to be unlimited.

Michl
Image Image ImageImageImageImageImage
michl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Manny » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:08 am

chris miller wrote:Will there be a Tournament based on Kursk once it is beyond Beta??

I'd love to have a Kursk tournament , if there's enough interest and someone's willing to run it :wink:
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Kursk

Postby Kardon » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:41 am

An adminrable effort, but I don't know if I can get used to looking at a map of Kursk with West on top! :P

It's interesting that you didn't give the two Panther battalions any automatic replacements. I guess that was on purpose, but I wonder if that was justified? If anything, the Panther battalions should be easily damaged, since they suffered from low availability rates because of mechanical difficulties, but given time they could be repaired.

A very minor quibble, but maybe the pictures for most of the German tank units should be Mark IVs, since no one else had Panthers but the two battalions mentioned above.

The terrain is very sparse, and I don't know if the villages should be urban terrain. The fortifications and minefields seem to be everywhere, which may be a bit too much given the ease with which the Germans penetrated them. Maybe leave out some of the minefields?

Again, an impressive job.
Kardon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Kursk

Postby Manny » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:08 pm

Kardon wrote:An adminrable effort, but I don't know if I can get used to looking at a map of Kursk with West on top! :P

My apologies, but this is an inherent limitation of the editor.

Kardon wrote:It's interesting that you didn't give the two Panther battalions any automatic replacements. I guess that was on purpose, but I wonder if that was justified? If anything, the Panther battalions should be easily damaged, since they suffered from low availability rates because of mechanical difficulties, but given time they could be repaired.

This is entirely based on the historical data I have to-hand : none of the damaged Panthers were returned to battle and they broke-down of their own accord whilst just cruising along; there were also no replacement available at the time.

Kardon wrote:A very minor quibble, but maybe the pictures for most of the German tank units should be Mark IVs, since no one else had Panthers but the two battalions mentioned above.

hmmm, I thought this was the case ... maybe I just picked the wrong icon ?? Can you give me a couple of examples and I'll investigate- thanks.

Kardon wrote:The terrain is very sparse, and I don't know if the villages should be urban terrain.

Agreed but these villages were heavily fortified by the time the attack was launched, hence I have given them a nice CRT. Remember that the CRT heading is just a name ... I can change it to say village instead.

Kardon wrote:The fortifications and minefields seem to be everywhere, which may be a bit too much given the ease with which the Germans penetrated them. Maybe leave out some of the minefields?

The fortifications aren't that hard to break through, although they do look quite nice. And no I don't envisage the removal of any minefields as an option given the historical data I have seen this is quite reasonable.

Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated !! You might want to head on over to the Scenario Design forum though ...

rgds
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion